Saturday, November 30, 2013

How Do You Make Golf Good?

You've got to make it bad. And I mean really BAD. White guys rapping bad.


^This is exactly what the world of golf is missing. I don't know why but I just never can get into watching golf on TV. And when I do it is the most painful viewing experience of my life. Maybe it's the fact that I prefer team sports rather than rooting for one singular rich person. Or maybe it is how pretentious it all feels, especially with the fake little golf clap.


I don't know I mean I should love golf just for the tacky clothing alone.



What made Caddyshack (1980) and Happy Gilmore (1996) such great golf movies was that they just had fun with it and showed everyday funny people playing a sport that doesn't look like it was only made for society's elite. It was relatable. That is what I think Professional Golf needs to do. It has to connect with the average 9-5 people who reside in the real world. And above all else they have to make it enjoyable. Insert the answer to my prayers the "Golf Boys".


The Golf Boys have street cred here in that they are actual professional  PGA golfers. Ben Crane, Bubba Watson, Rickie Fowler, and Hunter Mahan are the last glimmer of hope for golf to ever catch on and become popular in America. To compete on any level with the NFL or the NBA I think the sport needs more of the Golf Boys, and less of the old man country club feel to it. I would pay to see them play! Otherwise, I am afraid golf will always stay on the same level as professional soccer in this country.

My personal favorite member of Golf Boys is Bubba Watson. Tell me you wouldn't want to see this man golf!


He seems to be channeling his inner Dexys Midnight Runners here.



Please God give golf this! It needs it.

No comments:

Post a Comment